Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Thoughtfulness

Yesterday, a friend of mine reminded me that we need to serve people we encounter every day rather than simply make these lofty goals to save the world. I've been thinking about that conversation since. As I was teaching today, I wondered how I was to serve today. As I was pondering life, one of my little 3rd graders approached me with this lovely headband she and her mom had made for me (gold, sparkly band, with a darling red and white flower assembled and placed on the side of the head band). Last week, I had commented on how cute her headbands always are and she duely noted that comment. That's when it hit me that serving can also take the form of thoughtfulness. I know I always appreciate thoughtfulness i.e. when things I've said are remembered or when people know what brings me joy. I want to be more thoughtful, to take note of what brings others joy. It's easy to become discouraged by life, so rather than think about what we could do if we had the money or the resources, let us serve here, where we are, spreading joy through our thoughtfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment